Thursday, August 15, 2019

Enough IS Enough

Next week I start my 36th year as an SLP. THIRTY-SIXTH YEAR! Somehow I thought it was 37, but I guess it just feels that way. :) I am fairly happy with where my journey has taken me. I've grown both professionally and personally, but haven't quite reached that point of complete satisfaction. I still compare myself to young SLPs with their cute Teachers Pay Teachers stores. I still compare myself to the seasoned ASHA SLPs with their positions and professional clout. I compare, I compare, I compare. ENOUGH!

I am reading Brené Brown's Daring Greatly and she purports that much of society's problems are rooted in the "fear of being ordinary." Our social media feeds are clogged with posts of people living seemingly extraordinary lives. I know when I see posts I think, "What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't my life look so spectacular?" Brown digs deeper and describes a "culture of scarcity." In our culture of scarcity we never have enough and sadly when comparing ourselves to the perfectionism social media and media in general underscores, we never will.


As I read, I thought about how I could combat this as I approach a new school year. It occurred to me a series of daily affirmations about what I have that is enough might be a great place to start. Now, this doesn't mean I stop here, I can always do more, but where I am today is good enough for today. Tomorrow will bring something else, another change, a growth moment. So without further ado...
As an SLP:

  • I am good enough
  • I am successful enough
  • I am competent enough
  • I am talented enough
  • I am creative enough
  • I am compassionate enough
  • I am smart enough
  • I am professional enough
  • I am thorough enough
  • I am empathetic enough
  • I am clever enough
  • I am valued enough
  • I am well read enough
  • I write well enough
  • I am organized enough
  • I have enough
  • I do enough
  • I am enough
As a human:
  • I am thin enough
  • I am funny enough
  • I am pretty enough
  • My house is good enough
  • My husband is good enough
  • My children are good enough
  • My car is good enough
  • My bank account is full enough
  • My clothes are good enough
  • I am fit enough
  • I run fast enough
  • I have enough
  • I am extraordinary enough
  • I am enough
I am enough for me and the handful of people who know, accept, and love me for me. You are enough. So let's stop comparing and start this year doing what we do best. Let's live and be content. WE ARE ENOUGH.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Annie. You are also WISE enough, and I appreciate your wisdom. XO

    ReplyDelete