Thursday, January 25, 2018

R.I.P. Rosie the Riveter

Naomi Fraley (nee Parker), the woman believed to be the inspiration behind J. Howard Miller's wartime "We Can Do It," poster died on Jan. 20, 2018 at 96 years of age.  Although there is some controversy around whether Naomi is in fact the model for the poster, it appears her claim is valid. Like many women during World War II, Naomi went to work as a machinist at the Naval Air Station in Alameda, California. In 1942 while working in Alameda, a photographer for the Acme news agency photographed her as she leaned over a lathe. She was sporting the now iconic red bandana.  The original poster was meant to encourage employees at Westinghouse Electric.

The recognizable image of "Rosie" epitomizes feminine fortitude, spunk, and determination, which is exactly why I modeled my logo after her. As an SLP and a woman, I draw strength from the women who paved the way for me to be an independent, college educated professional.  With a flexed bicep held high, I say thank you Naomi. Rest in peace


2 comments: