Monday, January 15, 2018

One Little Word 2018

For the past few years, I have participated in the One Little Word® project. Ali Edwards, the originator of "One Little Word," sums it this way:

A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow.

In 2006 I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January – a word to focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light, up, open, thrive, give, and whole. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been embedded into who I am and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed most (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, to navigate challenges, and to grow.

The task in focusing on a word, as opposed to a resolution, is to encourage meditating on one concept that can have far reaching effect in my (and your) life. That concept can permeate how I view my relationships, my job, my past and my future. Becoming intentional with decisions after viewing them through a consistent lens allows me to interact with my story as I write and create around a theme.

After much contemplation, I have chosen the word discipline. I don't mean discipline in a legalistic, unyielding, have to, need to, must, sort of way. I mean discipline in a "I choose to be disciplined in this because it will bear out results or I will feel temperate, accomplished or strong afterward."  

Pondering this word should be fairly straightforward. Applying the concept to my life is going to require discipline. One thing I have learned over the course of 56 years is, in order for me to grow I need to practice another little word. Can you guess which hand is mine?

I encourage you to find your word.

2 comments:

  1. What a great word. I haven't done a word for the year, but I do choose a Saint of the Year.

    ReplyDelete