Saturday, January 20, 2018

A Handy Social Skill Acronym

I've noticed a lot of references to "Say it, Think it" activities on social media as well as at workshops, recently. While it's gone by different names, this is not a new concept. Say it, think it activities are really helpful for helping students with social-pragmatic difficulties become more aware of blurting tendencies as well as putting that social filter into action.  So many of our students just say the first thing that pops into their heads, which leads to breakdowns in communication, problems with teachers and parents, and misperceptions by peers. Activities that help our students access the impulse control switch in their minds will serve them well in both school, social arenas and the workforce (as much as we might like to, we can't tell our bosses what we really think). As SLPs we use whatever is motivating and works;  wind-up mouths, squishy brains and mouths, sticky notes, and thought and speech bubble signs.  I really like these thought bubble and speech bubble sticky notes found on Amazon. I found the pictured squishy toys at Walmart.  There was an eye as well, but at $6.88 a toy, I exercised some purchasing restraint. These seem to be all the rage with the kids and they are super satisfying to squish.

I introduce the concept of a social filter by explaining the difference between thoughts and spoken words. That's easy enough, the former are quiet, known only to the student, and can be memories, ideas, words, or pictures.  Words are spoken and heard by all around the student. They have power and can make others feel a certain way or think certain thoughts.

We then practice. I present either a picture or a verbal scenario and give kids the opportunity to "blurt" the first thing they think of in the privacy and safety of the speech room. In doing so we can look at the impact of what they said on them personally and those around them. True story; I showed a video from the Everyday Social series to a student in speech therapy. It featured middle school students. My student's first thought (said aloud, of course) upon seeing the video was, "Well, he's never gonna get laid." This opened the door to the notion that a lot of what we think should not be uttered. In the context of speech therapy it is much easier to engage the social filter than when a student is emotionally triggered or trying to fit in socially.

Enter O.T.M. About twenty-five years ago, I was working in Hillsdale, NJ and I worked with an exceptional SLP. Geri, had created the aforementioned acronym and I use it to this day. O.T.M. stands for "keep It on The Mind, not Out The Mouth." I pair the acronym with the gesture of my index finger moving from forehead along the side of my face and out from my mouth. I like practicing this concept while doing in-class lessons. The whole class benefits and the teacher has some common language to reinforce the skill.


I can also dovetail using a social filter with plain old kindness. I really like the acronym THINK; is it true; is it helpful, is it inspiring, is it necessary, is it kind? Here is a little poster freebie for you highlighting the THINK  strategy. Click the picture or the link to be redirected to the download.

Well, I hope the O.T.M. strategy is something you bring to your speech programs and that you and your students find it productive. I'd love to hear if you use it!!




2 comments:

  1. Great acronym! A lot of adults could us it, too!!! I'm going to print out your poster & hang it in my rooms...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! Absolutely, many adults could use it (including myself)! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete