I was recently contacted by Maya, from FunGames, about a product she and her aunt, an SLP with 28 years experience, had developed. Their motivation was to design therapy materials that created solutions for some of the typical SLP challenges. The Express Game was born out of a desire for materials that offered enjoyable therapy, convenient card size, durable quality, crisp, clean, and real photos, common categories, relevant pictures, card flexibility, and box sturdiness.
Maya offered me a copy of The Express Game to review, no other compensation was provided. The following review contains my humble opinions only.
What I really loved about this product:
- The Express Game comes in an extremely sturdy "shoebox" style box. It is visually appealing and for a tactile person like me, has a smooth finish.
- Included in the starter set are 130-2.75 x 4.75 cards in 10 categories (clothing, fruit, vegetables, tableware, school supplies, musical instruments, cookware, furniture, and electronics).
- The cards are brightly colored and feature clear, crisp photos without text. Again, as someone who notices texture, these cards have a really nice feel. The cards themselves are waterproof and rip-proof. While I haven't done rigorous assessment of that claim, I can say, they are most definitely of sturdy quality.
- The textless nature of the cards allow them to be globally relevant and functional across any language. Some of the cards can be used for single word vocabulary activities while others can be used for developing words of classification as they feature several pictures belonging to the category.
- Since the cards are real photos they can be used for any age and population.
- This product is well suited across therapeutic and educational domains. Early educators, special educators, and ELL teachers as well as an SLPs working with pediatrics and adults can find ample uses for these cards.
- The cards are a practical size and are held easily by little hands.
- The cards are easily used for individual therapy and group therapy.
- The Express Game is very versatile and I have used it already with favorable results. It comes with a manual that includes many suggestions for therapy and games.
- An extension game is available here and includes 52 more cards in the categories of sports, camping, beach, and media.
- The cards themselves are easily carried in a bag for use at multiple sites. SLPs will need to use their own bag for this and a small bag might be a nice addition to the product, so the entire box doesn't need to be carted site to site.
- The interior of the box is slotted for convenient organization of the individual category decks with extra slots available for your own additions or the commercially available extension sets.
- Interestingly, there are no animals included in either product. I would like to have seen those in the starter set.
- There are no blank cards included.
- While the cards themselves are a great size for little hands, they are a little slippery.
- Cards with text options might be useful, however, I do understand that would impact the global appeal.
- When I originally ordered The Express Game, it was $59.93. I consider that price somewhat high. I see the price is now $49.93 which I believe is more reasonable.
- Transporting the entire box for the itinerant SLP, might be cumbersome. Including a cloth bag for carrying the cards between sites would be handy.
- What makes the cards virtually indestructible is the fact that they are 100% plastic. From an environmental perspective I would like to see them made from a more sustainable material or even from recycled plastic.
Overall, I am quite pleased with these cards and am excited to devise new ways to use them. I appreciate the opportunity to have given these cards a spin! Maya has generously offered a 20% discount for my readers (Thank you, Maya). You can find The Express Game here. Use the coupon code AnnieDoyle20 to receive 20% off the FunGame Original 130 Flashcards. This code will be available until June 25, 2019.
I would love to know if you purchase this product and I hope my review was helpful.