Sunday, January 24, 2016

Quick and Easy Recipes for the Frenzied SLP



This week we're all about helping frenzied SLPs with meal prep! First, I would like to thank this week's hostesses Kelly of Speech2U, Lisette of Speech Sprouts, and Mary of Old School Speech for their behind the scenes work. Be sure to like our Frenzied SLPs Facebook page.

I have a couple of easy-peasy recipes for you today. But first let me share my strategy for making sure we actually eat dinner! Several years ago I bought a chalkboard sticker that I adhered to the side of our refrigerator. I believe I got it at Staples in the Martha Stewart home office section. Every Most Sundays I look through my recipes (some in my head) and I write them on the sticker. I then hang the actual recipes I will be using for the week on my refrigerator so I don't have to go looking for them.

Sometimes I wonder how this fridge hasn't fallen over from the weight of the things on it, but when I look at it it makes me smile. It is so us!

I then go through the recipes and create a corresponding grocery list. I have found this saves us money, because we only buy what we need for the week rather than winging it or making three grocery store runs in a panic and buying randomly.
Jim thoughtfully did the shopping this week, but I have to be very specific about what I write on it :) My favorite is "retried beans!"

I don't know where I originally found this first recipe, but we love it and it can be prepared the night before, which is wonderful if you are anticipating a busy day.


I love to bake and I make it a point to have fresh bread. I know, I know, who has the time? Several years ago I came upon the best method for bread baking that puts the task on my schedule, not the bread's schedule. I follow the method developed by Jim Lahey, owner of the Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC and author of My Bread. The technique is simple and truly the bread makes itself, all you need is a cast iron pot with a lid. I have three so I can do three loaves at a time if I wanted, but I usually keep it to two per week.

I hope you are able to find a recipe that satisfies you and your family in our linky. Do you have a favorite recipe? Well, please link up and share it. I could always use another recipe to keep things varied. Also, check out Lyndsey Zurawski's Facebook group #SLPeats Recipe Swap for more ideas.



Blogger code:

20 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, that bread is going on my list. You know, I am an Italian living in Texas. So I have had my share of manicotti, and Mexican food, but Mexican manicotti is a new one on me. Gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yummy and is great to pack the next day for lunch. I often double recipes, so the kids can take leftovers for lunch.

      Delete
  2. Well I love bread, but don't own a cast iron skillet, so I'll just eat some of yours the next time we meet up! And Mexican...I love everything Mexican, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What no cast iron? What do you hit the man with?! :) Seriously though, if you find a cast iron pot in your yard sale travels or consignment shop trips, it will be an investment well made. We take ours camping, too!

      Delete
  3. Holy guacamole! My husband would probably eat that manicotti single-handedly! You can't go wrong combining Italian and Mexican foods! Must try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is tasty. I should add, I don't really like filling the manicotti, so I put the meat in a plastic bag and cut the corner off to use like a pastry bag. It's kind of yucky, but it works!

      Delete
  4. I think I have/had that manicotti recipe. The bread seems really easy. Now I just have to get a lid for my cast iron skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bread! I am definitely going to try that!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love it. It is so simple and once you get the hang of it there are so many amazing variations. Check out the cookbook (My Bread)

      Delete
  6. I have a good friend who is obsessed with no-knead bread. After looking at your recipe it doesn't seem that difficult. I will have to try it! I love fresh bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not hard at all! It is so much more flavorful and saves money. There is such a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself. I also love to knead bread! It does my soul good!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to try the bread recipe! I love King Arthur flour, too. Won't buy any other kind. Flour and butter are my name-brand buys.
    All Y’all Need

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the no-Knead bread recipe. Makes me feel like I am such a good baker. Plus I love Mexican food so am definitely going to check out this Mexican manicotti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how your bread turns out! I hope you love it.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That manicotti sounds delicious! I love making homemade bread, but the kneading alone takes 15 minutes. Worth it, but your version sounds easy and satisfying :) Thanks for sharing!

    Abby
    Schoolhouse Talk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good and the bread is so easy. I will say I love to knead also, it is very calming!

      Delete