Sunday, November 9, 2014

Lest We Forget

In 1979, at the ripe, old age of 18, I chose speech-language pathology as my area of study in college. I drove my brown 1973 Pontiac Ventura to classes everyday (three on the tree, by the way). I was a generally happy kid, gracefully shifting between studious young woman, drug store cashier, and quarters playing, weekend party animal. I graduated in 1983, and began my career at 22 years old as a speech-language pathologist. My first jobs were as an itinerant and part-time SLP in three or four different towns while also working as a cashier in both Food Town and Thrift Drug. That first year out of school I had nine W-2 forms at tax time! I was able to choose a career and make my dream a reality with ease. I was free to go to college as a woman. I was not denied employment because of religious discrimination. I was not prohibited from driving a car or hanging out with my friends on the weekends. Why? Because brave men and women acted, so that my freedoms were protected.

While Veterans' Day is a wonderful day off in the middle of November it is also an opportunity to remember the courageous and selfless actions of those who preserve the American dream. This week I don't have a cute craftivity, fancy packet, or amazing book companion. I don't have anything "speechie" at all. All I have is a short post paying tribute to the individuals who have sacrificed for the common good, so that I can live as fully as I choose. Let's remember on November 11, 2014 the men and women who have willingly served to protect our freedoms.

"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…" President Woodrow Wilson, November 1919.
Thanks Dad, Pops, Pop, Ted and Doug!
Theodore Ruehl, my Pops

James Doyle, Jim's Pop

August Polizzi my Dad

Doug, a hero

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Scarlett! I truly appreciate your feedback!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's so easy to forget how fortunate we are! I know I need a reminder now and again. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

      Delete